15 March 2007

Daylight Savings Time

My health returned this week, along with Daylight Savings Time, and the corresponding Tuesday Night Worlds ride. It's been a miserable few weeks, as I was dealing with allergies, that became a sinus infection, leading to a bronchial irritation that had me coughing and just plain miserable. Worse, I'd wake up feeling good one morning and ride to work and back, and be back to misery the next day. This kept up for several weeks, until I got a Z-Pack and killed off the Sinusitis, which immediately improved my overall feeling of "I'm finally on my way out of this". In fact, today is the 4th day in a row that I've felt healthy...so I'm happy.

Tuesday night was the first "kill your grandmother and sell your firstborn to get ahead" ride of the year. I was still pretty worn out from being sick and so I didn't know what to expect. Besides, I'd only ridden 20 miles a week for a month. With a family commitment keeping my available ride time shorter than the full ride, I knew I had to make the hour I had count. Riding out, up the first absolutely inconsequential hill (and I mean tiny tiny tiny), my legs ached. An ache that didn't stop until long after the ride was finished. But I rode at the front for 35 minutes, and then by myself back into wind for 25 more. I wasn't unhappy, just sore. But mostly just glad to be out with the club again.

So yesterday when I woke up, I debated with myself whether I needed a rest from the night before (trying to avoid relapsing into sickness), but decided that I needed the miles more, so I suited up and rode into the office. It wasn't bad, especially considering that I had no winter clothing of any kind on whatsoever (yea, it's getting warm now). Last night's ride home was even better...even though it felt like I was hurting badly, I made very good time on my climbs, staying in tough gears to put pressure on my legs. This is my strategy for improving my climbing this year...train in bigger gears on the climbs to build leg strength.

Anyway, two consecutive days of riding and I'm not sick today (though it's raining pretty hard, so I won't be outside). I'll get out the rollers for a nice recovery spin tonight and get a long ride in this weekend.

Woohoo!! It feels good to be back on the bike again!

0 comments: