05 June 2010

Goodbye Ride...and catching up

This morning, 5:30 to be exact, I rolled my bike out of the garage to ride a last ride with Jake. Jake is moving across the country and we decided to get one more ride in before he leaves tomorrow. It's been a while since we've ridden together, scheduling and mundane tasks such as child rearing and being husbands always seemed to get in the way.

Anyway we rolled down to 119 and 280 and did a loop out to Dunavant and back, some mild climbing, lots of rollers and a short steep whack over Hugh Daniels Drive. I didn't have the legs to get as deep as my cardio system was willing to let me go this morning, so the ride was a bit of a struggle. Jake is in far better shape than I am, as he is peaking for the Wasatch Back running race next weekend.

But isn't the essence of training that either your legs or your lungs are always trying to catch up to the other. Peaking is bringing those systems into sync at the highest level you can manage. The rest of the time it's just suffering.

I've been doing the Thursday night (climbing centric) rides lately instead of the Tuesday night speedfests. I'll probably add the Tuesday rides back in starting in July. My main goal for the year, Cherohala, was canceled because of a rockslide over the road that wouldn't be cleared in time for the ride to happen. Oh well, there's always next year.

Meanwhile, I'll keep riding...there's alway Huntsville in September.

2 comments:

Cat said...

So being a dad and husband is mundane? Hmmmm. :P

tkp said...

That was tongue in cheek...and you know better. :)