31 October 2006

It's Finally Back

My Trek. I originally had the frameset sent to the factory in Wisconsin for inspection and repainting (after I crashed it into the garage while pulling in and forgetting it was atop the car).

It came back sometime at the end of July, first part of August (I don't recall exactly) and it was not acceptable...the paint was bubbled on the top tube. So it went back again.

3 weeks later, it was returned again. Not only did they not fix the bubbled paint on the top tube, it now had other blemishes as well. So we sent it a third time.

Friday the shop called to tell me it was back. "Third times gotta be the charm" they said. Apparently that isn't necessarily the truth. Yes, they had fixed the bubbled paint, and the other blemishes as well, but a spot of clearcoat had rubbed off, (or they missed a spot during finishing) behind the seat-tube.

Yesterday the shop called to tell me that they had talked to Trek and rather than send it back for a 4th repaint, Trek was giving up and letting me keep it without charge.

So I'm finally done with my Trek saga, and K&C will both have bikes that fit, as I'm giving K the newly repainted OCLV frameset.

We'll spend the next couple of nights building it up together. That'll be a good father/son thing to do. Right?

I thought so too.

0 comments: