01 November 2006

I just can't let it go...

Last night, on my commute home, I was noodling along, feeling pretty good. I had climbed up over Highland and down through English Village, through Mountain Brook Village and along the Shades Creek Greenway to Columbiana. Columbiana is the tough climb on this version of my route (Smyer is closed for repairs for the next 2.5 months), about 3/4 mile at ~8%. I had just started the climb, and thought I would just take it easy, spin up nice and slow and keep things under control.

BUT!

I was passed.

For about 2 seconds I didn't care. Then it registered...I was just passed. The thoughts spinning through my head...can I just let that go without a response? How can I call myself a rider if I don't at least try to take back what was mine?

So I shifted to a harder gear, stood up and started climbing. The gap started to shrink. Then it stabilized as the beam of my light became visible on the ground around him, and he, realizing I was coming, increased his effort as well.

Slowly I pulled up even with him and for the last 1/4 mile we traded tire-width leads until with 50 yards left I went hard and finally left him behind as I crossed the summit 15 yards in front.

Not a word was spoken between us. There was an inate understanding that this was a race to which we were the only witnesses. On the line? Nothing but the personal satisfaction of having beaten someone on a climb, and the establishment of the Alpha cyclist betwixt just the two of us.

I know that the next time we meet on that climb, he'll remember the time I beat him to the top, and he'll work harder.

So will I.

0 comments: