22 November 2006

Dull these days

It's too cold to ride. Well, ordinarily not, but since I'm fighting (pretty well I might add) the nasty head cold that made it's way through our home last week, I'm avoiding being sweaty outside when it's in the low 30's.

And I can't seem to motivate myself to hook up my trainer to ride indoors when it isn't raining outside.

Other things have been happening though...

I finished building up the old Trek frameset. Using some of my old parts, and some parts donated by the Beast, Kenny now has a bike most 16 year olds would kill for...OCLV Frameset, Shimano 9spd Dura Ace Shifters with Ultegra derailleurs, FSA compact crankset, an ITM Millineum stem, and a Specialized Carbon seatpost (the one that came on my Tarmac, since I'm using a lighter FSA carbon post). I put my old Spinergy Spox wheels on, since he's light enough that they'll still be stiff wheels for him. With the Speedplay X2 pedals, the bike weighs 17.5 lbs.

Now Twister has Kenny's old Trek 1000, and Brayden has Twister's old (43cm) Trek 1000.

Since we were all set, and Saturday was a nice day, I took the three boys out for a ride late Saturday afternoon. We did the greenway along Lakeshore, up the bottom half of Smyer to where the road is closed for repairs, and back again. A short 8 miles for Kenny, Twister, and me...a bit longer 8 for Brayden, who was on his first road bike ride ever. He did well, and I'm looking forward to spending more time riding with my boys. And Cathy too.

Russ and I are hoping to get out and do a short 25 or 30 on Friday, before we have to work at the Christmas Tree lot for the scouts. Kenny and Twister will ride with us, so it should be a good ride. I'm looking forward to Friday.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd say that's a bike most adults would kill for. Nice work. I just hope Kenny appreciates it.