11 October 2008

A Little Better Day

This morning I met JB at Oak Mountain and we did a modified version of the trail, starting with Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, the Johnson's Mountain. Then up the Peavine Falls road to the fire road which leads to the top of the BUMP trail (where Blood Rock is located), down the BUMP trail, back onto the road and finishing up with Mr. Toad's back to the parking lot.

It was a good morning to ride...the weather was overcast, but it wasn't threatening to rain, just cloudy. Temps were moderate, and there wasn't any wind at all. It was almost perfect.

It was a better ride for me today than last week. I felt a little strained on Peavine Falls Road. I still need to work on dialing in my position on the MTB, and better fitness will help as well. I've got to excercise more than once a week if I want to get any stronger.

3 comments:

Lindy Leigh said...

You rock! I am selling my mountain bike...I may get a road bike...I don't do the mountain thing anymore.

Any tips on farther faster longer bikes?

tkp said...

Wow, advice huh?

Let's see...I got Cathy a new road bike a few years ago. The things that were important to her were found on a Specialized Sequoia.

1) Slightly wider tires
2) A more upright position than standard racing "flat-back".
3) Easy standover (the "compact" style geometry accomplishes this)
4) Brake levers that were easy to reach without having to hit the drops.

Biggest tip though, "fit" is the most important thing for enjoying yourself. If the bike doesn't fit you properly, you'll have joint and back aches and pains. You just won't have fun and as a consequence you won't use it. Find a shop that knows how to fit you properly (this is not REI...sorry). A quality shop will be willing to swap some of the "fit critical" components (stem, seat, handlebars (width), etc) without charging you unless you upgrade as well.

One more, the best value in bikes right now can be found on last years models, most likely on closeout right now, or in the next couple of weeks at your local bike shops. You can score some sweet deals if you don't have to have the latest and greatest.

Hope that helps.

Lindy Leigh said...

Thanks Terry! That really helps a lot. I will let my hubby know...between me wanting a new lens every week :-O or my new IPOD...a sweet deal would be nice :)

I hope Cathy feels better...