05 August 2006

I'm sorry, I didn't know this was a race...

The worst of days, was last Saturday. And while not quite the best of days, I certainly had a stronger ride today. The weather was tolerable. In fact, one could say that it was quite nice...mid 80's, low humidity, sunny skies, and a breeze to help keep us cool.

We left the BBC in Irondale and rode out to Odenville and back again. The pace was moderately quick, until we were 4 miles outside of Odenville, when Jeff Haines, and Dom Sutton came flying out of the pack and rolled off the front like we were standing still. Well, color me stupid, but I had no idea we were racing today...nevertheless, my legs responded and with the help of Paul Holsinger, we bridged the gap and dragged the group up with us. Then Jeff ended his pull and dropped back. Instantly, the speed went up 3 mph as Dom hit the front and started killing us. He faded eventually, and things settled down to a reasonable 25-26 for the rest of the way to the turnaround. The nice thing about this whole tale is that even though I thought the pace was tough for a few minutes, I was able to fight through it and hang until it slowed down again.

I finished the ride with 67 miles and actually feel good right now. The legs are a little sore when I go up or down the stairs, but that's a good thing. It means I worked hard and I'll see some benefit from the ride today.

Hurrah! It was just a bad day last week. I'm not the complete lame-o I felt like. And that's a good feeling.

1 comments:

Cat said...

I'm glad you're feeling so well...let's go get to work in the backyard! :)