08 December 2006

Cold Feet

Saturday I went out with the boys from the club. It was to be a ride with lots of climbing, so I wasn't worried about getting warm once things got going. When I pedaled out of the driveway at 8:00 am, it was 34 degrees. I had arm warmers, light tights, and a wind vest.

Big mistake.

After climbing out of the hole in the mountain where we live, I started descening the north side of Shades Mountain, where I quickly became reaquainted with my loathing for frozen fingers and toes. By the time I arrived in Crestline for the ride start at 9:00, I could barely squeeze my brake levers, shifting was out of the question, and my feet felt like blocks of ice attached to the end of my legs.

At this point I was thinking, "thank heavens for shoe covers. Too bad I didn't put mine on today. Do I even know where they are?"

We left to ride, and yes, there was plenty of climbing. My legs were plenty warm, and I even took off my arm warmers and my fingers thawed out. But my feet remained frozen.

Once I got home and got my feet warmed sufficiently, I went out to the garage and started looking through boxes until I found my nice warm winter booties (shoe covers). Fleece lined, neoprene outside. I resolve to wear them on every ride until February at least.

The only thing I hate worse than cold feet, is wet feet.

0 comments: