14 January 2007

Shorts and Short Sleeves in January

Yesterday Jeff Mills was in town (technically he's still in town today, but we're not riding today) and we hooked up and went riding. Jeff showed up at my house a few minutes earlier than I was expecting him and so I neglected to eat breakfast, a mistake that would haunt me later. We left the BBC and headed for the hills of Mountain Brook. There were about 15 of us at the start, but the group whittled itself down as we climbed Dell, then Smyer, then Old Brook Trail. Eventually there were 8 of us left.

Heading east on Sicard Hollow, I felt the initial bonk halfway up the first hill. I lost contact with the group, but caught back on at the foot of the second hill. The pace up this hill was more than my nutritionally challenged legs could manage and I bonked hard. By the time I crested the hill, there was nobody left in sight. I gritted my teeth and struck out to just make it to the end of the road, 6-7 miles distant, where we had agreed to regroup. Eventually I caught sight of Jeff, who noticed I was leading from the rear and dropped back to assist me. With his Tulsa-trained wind breaking skills, I was able to suck wheel, and remember to begin eating some Hammer Gel and eventually we caught back up to the group. The Hammer Gel was taking effect and I began to feel pretty good, as we continued up and over the rollers. Jeff rolled off the front on his own, and we let him go, as we were running 25 mph and didn't feel much like going harder. But from the back came the triathlete of the group (doesn't every group in Birmingham have a triahtlete?), training for Ironman Brazil, flying past us. I looked at Doug Daughetee to see if we were going to give it a go...and he was already gone. I responded as best as I could and got on Doug's wheel. We caught the Ironman but could only hold on as we began the last mile of Rex Lake Road and passed Jeff at 34 mph.

At the Chevron mini-mart where we were re-grouping, I grabbed a banana, and a powerbar to try and bolster my efforts to fight back the bonk that would surely be coming if I let up at all.

Leaving the mini-mart, we headed back west toward Birmingham, and then turned north toward Trussville on Floyd Bradford road. I love this road. It rolls and is very very fast, especially with a group to share the pulling load. I struggled at times to keep up on some of the harder rollers as my legs were starting to feel the effects of earlier bonk and I was fighting that "cramping" feeling. On Queenstown road (after a tough climb), again, it is very fast, but at the end Queenstown, it has a set of descending 90 degree turns that are just as fun as anything you can imagine...

Unfortunately, the farther we went (but at least closer to the end) the more my legs began cramping, until riding up at short climb near the end I had to stop pedaling for a minute to let the cramp seizing my upper thigh subside.

Clearly my big mistake was not eating before riding, but it's easy to lose the good habits you build on long rides (eating and drinking frequently, eating before leaving, etc) when you spend months where your primary riding experiences are only 30-40 minutes long.

On a positive note, I had a great time riding with Jeff and Doug, and the weather couldn't have been nicer. The 14th of January. We had no winter clothes on at all, no tights, no wind vests, no long fingered gloves, no warm under-layers. It was 72 degrees. It's tough to top a day like that.

On the other hand, I've obviously got a bit of work to do before June.

2 comments:

Jon said...

12 degrees here. Thanks for showing off. If the weather is that nice, why even own rollers?

tkp said...

Rollers? Because while you can ride every week of the year here, you can't ride every day. Some days, especially in the winter, it is rainy, and I don't like riding with wet feet.

So rollers let me ride when it's wet. It sometimes gets cold here too. Just not on Saturday. I got 50 miles in on Saturday and another 45 yesterday. Tonight though, I'll be on the rollers.