09 May 2006

Rain, Rain, Go Away

So, it's time once again for the weekly Tuesday night "kill-your-own-grandmother-and-sell-your-firstborn-to-get-ahead" club ride, and that means that it's also time once again for the weekly thunderstorm.

It isn't enough for whoever controls the weather around here that the ride is 90 minutes of anaerobic agony...apparently I need a good dose of dodging lightning bolts as well. Though my trusty mechanical steed is carbon fiber everywhere I could afford to put carbon fiber, there are still enough metal parts to make this an uncomfortable situation. Really. Everytime I saw a lightning bolt I instinctively ducked my head as though if I couldn't see it, it couldn't hit me. Not that it mattered that I wasn't looking where I was going anyway...my sunglasses (clear lenses) were too fogged to see through, and the rain was falling too hard to leave my eyes unprotected.

So I got home, thoroughly soaked. I showered, changed clothes and headed back to the car to go to Christopher's band concert. As I sat in the driver's seat, I realized that I had forgotten to dry it off before sitting back down with clean dry jeans on. (Yes, this probably would have been a good time to let Kenny use his newly minted driver's license)

So I had a constant reminder for the duration of the concert of why I really don't like the rain.

I shouldn't complain too badly though...I had a good ride going until Zeus decided to throw a temper tantrum. Granted, the ride was a bit less intense than some weeks, but Ruffner was tough, and I was wheezing like a leaky tire at the top of John Rodgers Drive. A little gap opened there, but I managed to close it down and was with the lead group all the way to 78, where the rain started and we all headed back to the cars instead of doing Old Leeds Road.

Cherohala is only 5 weeks away. If I don't put some miles in before then, I'll be praying for a thunderstorm so that I have an excuse to not look like a hack that failed to train again this year.

0 comments: