09 June 2006

The Cherohala Travelogue

On June 16, my wife, son, son's friend, and Russ and his wife will be traveling to the thriving rural hole in the road that is Tellico Plains, Tennessee. In reality, there is little more in this town than a high school, and a welcome center for the Cherohala Skyway and the campgrounds in the area. There is a gas station that sells pizza, but other than that, I have yet to see a restaurant of any kind within 15 miles of Tellico Plains.

Think "middle of nowhere" and you're still thinking too big.

On the other hand, one of the best bicycle events you can find in the eastern US begins at the Tellico Plains High School on Saturday morning, the Cherohala Challenge. I've done this ride twice previously, 2003, when I was prepared (somewhat), and 2005, when I was anything but ready.

This is a very scenic ride, and I've had a request to post some pictures that I had from the years I've done it, so...

From 2003, I'm third row, middle, red/white/green helmet...



2005, for 10 miles, the road leading to the foot of the Tail of the Dragon follows Lake Chillhowee. It's the flattest road anywhere, and the only flat road on this ride. This day the lake had a layer of "smoke" covering it, that on occasion you could see something tall sticking up through the clouds. It was really a cool thing to see.



From 2003, an overlook on the Dragon's Tail, looking back down the road.



From the same overlook, looking west at Calderwood Dam.



Again, the same overlook, Lake Calderwood to the east...




On the Skyway, my friend DirtDog (Dan) arrives at the rest stop halfway up the climb. Gradient is impossible to tell from a photograph, but the mile leading up to this rest stop never drops below 9%.



In 2003, leaving the rest stop mentioned above, and continuing to the RS at the top of the climb, a thunderstorm moved in when I was about 2 miles short of the summit. Rain, cold, lightning and wind all made those two miles very adventurous. When it cleared out, I continued down the hill and finished the ride.

So, having said all of this, the question is, why do we do these things? Is it because the more miserable the conditions and terrain, the better the stories are at the Cracker Barrel on the way home? Is it because as a cyclist, you have sworn an oath to punish yourself at every opportunity? My wife would be the first to tell you that none of this appeals to her in any way...not only that, how anyone could even begin to think it sounds fun is beyond her ability to understand. Yet thousands of cyclists beat themselves for hours at a time, in all kinds of conditions, all summer long, in events all over the world.

An old friend, from years ago, who was the first to get me interested in "cycling" as an organized activity summed it up best for me...When asked "why do you ride?", his answer was simple...

"...because it feels so good when you stop."

Amen.

1 comments:

Jon said...

So, how was it? Did you survive? How did you do?

I need an update!