21 June 2006

A story about The Beast

I mentioned several posts ago that I would tell a story about Jeff that I love. So I decided I've got a few minutes to write it up and get it out here so that he can gripe when he sees it...

Several years ago, Jeff was into Mountain Bike Racing. He convinced several of his buddies (I was not one of them...This story comes to me via one of the victims) to enter a local race.

They lined them up at the start, 5 across. About 50 yards ahead of the start line, the course narrowed to a single track (only room for one rider at a time). Jeff's brain went into overdrive as he tried to figure out a way to make certain that he would get to the chute ahead of said buddies.

When the gun sounded, Jeff reached over, shoved gently on one buddy's shoulder, and knocked over the whole row like dominos, then took off, beating them to the hole.

I love that story. I don't know if it's because I believe it so aptly describes his ultra-competitive personality, or just that he gets so bent whenever I tell it.

Either way, it always makes me smile to think about it.

0 comments: