07 June 2006

One Step Forward...well, you know the rest


Once again, it's Wednesday, and that means it's time for a TNPT report. It started off pretty well, I felt strong. Ruffner was a 23 mph festival of 170+ heartrate (for 11 minutes), but I was at the front and was never in danger of being dropped.

Sadly, I can't say the same for John Rogers Drive (also known as "Dog Track"). I made the mistake of sprinting up to the stoplight just before the incline drops, and suddenly, I was right back where I was a few weeks ago, calling to the engine room for more power and coming up empty.

On a positive note, I rejoined the group at Karl Daly and Old Leeds Road, then finished strongly, even finishing 3rd in the sprint to the top of Old Leeds. But oh how the legs hurt!!

This week is a recovery week, and so I'm going to take it easy, do some light spinning and a couple of easy 30 milers to finish out the week.

I'm starting to like the Tarmac, but aside from the stiffness of the frame, (which at my age is debatable as to its "advantage"), the thing I really like is that I've yet to finish a ride of any length with a sore back. On my old Trek, any ride longer than 20 miles guaranteed that I'd have lower back soreness during the ride. It's all about position, and I'm just about sold on the concept of the compact geometry.

Now if I could just find a seat wide enough for my backside...

3 comments:

Jon said...

how many miles do you usually put in a day during the week?

tkp said...

Depends on the day...

On weekdays I typically ride 15-20 miles as part of my commute, but I only do 2-3 days a week commuting. Tuesdays add another 32 miles for the Pain Train, and Saturday I vary my distance, though I've been going longer lately getting ready for Cherohala.

Since April 1, I've logged 1218 miles.

Jon said...

Wow! That's a ton of Miles. I haven't checked in a few weeks, but I think I'm still < 700 since I got my bike.

By the way, that's a beautiful bike you have there. I've been on the Roubaix, but never the Tarmac. Very nice.